Who We Are

Our Mission:

We, the members of St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church Community, profess that we are one family baptized into Christ Jesus and proclaim Him as the Light of the World, whose death reconciles us to the Father and whose resurrection gives us hope.

Founded

1920 A. D.

Founded

1920 A. D.

Clergy

Rev. Eugene M. Tully

Rev. Eugene M. Tully

Pastor Father Tully has been Pastor of St. Joseph since 2006. He is a graduate of St. Charles Borromeo Seminary. He loves his westies, Cardinal and Immaculata and enjoys spending time at his home in Ocean City.

Rev. Charles McElroy

Rev. Charles McElroy

Retired and Resident Priest Father Mc Elroy was a Pastor of St. Mary's Church in Schwenksville, PA. Father was a graduate of St. Charles Borromeo seminary and he currently teaches Math to the seminarians. He has a delightful 4-legged companion named Bo.

Mark J. Kuhn

Mark J. Kuhn

Deacon Deacon Mark was led to the Catholic Faith while studying modern foreign languages at Holy Family University. Since 2008, Deacon Mark has devoted himself to St.Joseph's in working with our Spanish speaking families.

 

Our Staff

Mrs. Lisa Gallagher

Mrs. Lisa Gallagher

Parish Secretary | Music Director

Lisa has been apart of the St. Joe’s family for over 10 years. She was a former Kindergarten teacher at Ambler Catholic. She provides beautiful music on our organ on Sundays and keeps everything under control as our beloved secretary during the week!

 

Mrs. Suzanne Kuhn

Mrs. Suzanne Kuhn

Director of Religious Education

Suzanne has been a devout Catholic since birth attesting to the term, “Craddle Catholic”. She received her religious instruction from St. Charles Borromeo Seminary, which she attended with Deacon Kuhn. 

Mrs. Lisa Gallagher

Mrs. Lisa Gallagher

Parish Secretary | Music Director

Lisa has been apart of the St. Joe’s family for over 10 years. She was a former Kindergarten teacher at Ambler Catholic. She provides beautiful music on our organ on Sundays and keeps everything under control as our beloved secretary during the week!

Mrs. Suzanne Kuhn

Mrs. Suzanne Kuhn

Director of Religious Education

Suzanne has been a devout Catholic since birth attesting to the term, “Craddle Catholic”. She received her religious instruction from St. Charles Borromeo Seminary, which she attended with Deacon Kuhn. 

Parish History and Pastors

Reverend Joseph T. Mc Dermott 1920-1923 Founder and First Pastor

Father rented a house at 808 Rosemary Ave for the rectory. He purchased land from the Knight Estate to build the church.  Across the street from the purchased land, Father Mc Dermott rented a house at 27 S. Spring Garden St. There he built a temporary chapel on the first floor and lived on the second. Christmas Mass was held for the first time.  On June 4th, the children received their First Communion for the first time. Father Mc Dermott obtained services from the Sisters of Saint Joseph in Chestnut Hill to instruct the children.Later that year, the first group of children received the Sacrament of Confirmation administered by the Most Reverend Michael Crane.

Still busy in June, Father hired the contractors and work began on the new church. It would be a brick building with a basement for worship and an auditorium for socials. The church was dedicated on December 16, 1923. Two weeks later Father was transferred to the Church of St. Joseph in Ashland. Father Joseph T. Mc Dermott was laid to eternal rest on April 6, 1945 leaving behind a new church with an organized and involved parish.

Reverend Joseph T. Mc Dermott 1920-1923 Founder and First Pastor

Father rented a house at 808 Rosemary Ave for the rectory. He purchased land from the Knight Estate to build the church.  Across the street from the purchased land, Father Mc Dermott rented a house at 27 S. Spring Garden St. There he built a temporary chapel on the first floor and lived on the second. Christmas Mass was held for the first time.  On June 4th, the children received their First Communion for the first time. Father Mc Dermott obtained services from the Sisters of Saint Joseph in Chestnut Hill to instruct the children.Later that year, the first group of children received the Sacrament of Confirmation administered by the Most Reverend Michael Crane.

Still busy in June, Father hired the contractors and work began on the new church. It would be a brick building with a basement for worship and an auditorium for socials. The church was dedicated on December 16, 1923. Two weeks later Father was transferred to the Church of St. Joseph in Ashland. Father Joseph T. Mc Dermott was laid to eternal rest on April 6, 1945 leaving behind a new church with an organized and involved parish.

Reverend Jeremiah F. Coyle 1924-1941 Second Pastor

 Father Coyle purchased the house at 27 S. Spring Garden St and was ready to build a bigger church as well as a school building. March 28th the ground was broken. Depression hit! the New church was dedicated with the Most Rev. Gerald O’ Hara officiating. The church/school were built in 1928 at the cost of $64,000. The new St. Joseph’s Parochial School opened on Monday, September 17, 1928 with 117 children and with 3 Sisters of St. Joseph as Faculty members. The old church was converted to a convent to house the Sisters until 1955. The first assistant assigned was Reverend Thomas P. Hopkins. Father Jeremiah T. Coyle took a leave of absence due to poor health and resigned in 1941.

Reverend Joseph P. Mc Geever 1941-1954 Third Pastor

 Father had to be a spiritual counselor as when the war began on Dec. 7, 1941 many were called to servvice. the parish as well as the country was hit hard financially. Father Mc Geever was still able to achieve a financial accomplishment by reducing the parish debt especially during these hard times. Father was pastor for 13 years.

Saint Joseph's Church

16 S. Spring Garden Street,
Ambler PA 19002

(215) 646-0494

Mass Times:

Weekdays:

Saturday:

8am

4pm

Sunday: 7:30am
9:00am
11:00am

Social:

Email:  stjosephambler@gmail.com
Facebook:  St. Joseph's Ambler